Saturday, 13 July 2013

Not In My Nature.

Not In My Nature.


It's not in my nature to let a thing slide - I have to speak out, I am not being snide.
When grammar and syntax and spelling's awry - I just have to say so and insist they 'try'!
My 'Street-cred' on Shortbread is probably low - but it's not in my nature to stifle the blow;
I have something to say, then I say it, Amen - and tolerate few who might try to say 'When'.
.
(That's a joke in my family, when pouring tea; - 'twas my mother's nature to let it flow free.
Always she'd tell us, 'Say when...' as she poured - so we'd laugh and pretend she was being ignored).
She too was quite finicky about language - so that's where I get it from, mum was my 'Sage'.
Now I can't stand the way English has changed - you can't use once lovely words; they've been deranged.
.
There's 'Fairy' and 'Gay' or 'Too hot in bed' - and those sidelong smirks are reactions I dread.
If I'm trying to be serious it narks me so - to have to be careful of each word, you know?
No, it's not in my nature to let a thing go - not in my nature to go with the flow.
I question and analyse even the Law, - and misprints; long paragraphs; see ev'ry flaw.
.
I just want to show that there's logic in there - punctuation and spelling all really need care.
A dictionary is essential to me - 'though 'vernacular' must be used, I agree,
where characters speak in a story or rhyme - I use it myself so it isn't a crime.
I just nit-pick and worrit and writhe in my chair - but I'm one against many; I have to despair.


Read more: Short Story: Not In My Nature. | Shortbread 

No comments:

Post a Comment